[ncl-talk] Error creating binary file

Andrew Kren - NOAA Affiliate andrew.kren at noaa.gov
Fri Feb 23 14:03:58 MST 2018

Dear ncl-talk,

I wrote a program to convert grib data to binary format, as needed for a
fortran program to track cyclones. I write slp, u at 500, and v at 500 to
binary using fbindirwrite. I ran the fortran program, which gave erroneous
wind values. So, I checked my binary program again and printed out the wind
for a few points and they were erroneous. Is this because the wind is
negative at times in direction? Here are some wind values I get when
putting into binary:

(0) -3.98

(1) -3.98

(2) -3.98

(3) -3.99

(4) -3.95

(5) -3.96

(6) -3.96

(7) -3.96

(8) -3.96

(9) -3.96

(10) -3.95

And here is what I get when I read the binary file back in after created:

(0) 102011.4

(1) 102011.4

(2) 102011.4

(3) 102011.4

(4) 102011.4

(5) 102011.4

(6) 102011.4

(7) 102011.4

(8) 102011.4

(9) 102011.4

(10) 102011.4

Am I missing something. I also attached my code. Any help is much
appreciated!

Andrew Kren
Assistant Scientist
CIMAS & NOAA/AOML