[ncl-talk] Vertical motion with zonal wind

Jenny Taylor jenny63taylor91 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 23 01:24:23 MST 2018

Mary,

I was trying with the following attached script. But vertical motion near
the equator, as well as the 30S and 30N, shows rising motion in the output
which is not correct in real term. Please kindly look into my script and
figure and inform me what I am missing or doing any wrong in this.

Data structure is below;

Variable: t
Type: float
Total Size: 655360 bytes
            163840 values
Number of Dimensions: 4
Dimensions and sizes:   [time | 1] x [lev_p | 20] x [lat | 64] x [lon | 128]
Coordinates:
            time: [ 791.. 791]
            lev_p: [950..50]
            lat: [-87.8638..87.8638]
            lon: [ 0..357.1875]
Number Of Attributes: 1
  _FillValue :  9.96921e+36

Variable: u
Type: float
Total Size: 655360 bytes
            163840 values
Number of Dimensions: 4
Dimensions and sizes:   [time | 1] x [lev_p | 20] x [lat | 64] x [lon | 128]
Coordinates:
            time: [ 791.. 791]
            lev_p: [950..50]
            lat: [-87.8638..87.8638]
            lon: [ 0..357.1875]
Number Of Attributes: 1
  _FillValue :  9.96921e+36

Variable: v
Type: float
Total Size: 655360 bytes
            163840 values
Number of Dimensions: 4
Dimensions and sizes:   [time | 1] x [lev_p | 20] x [lat | 64] x [lon | 128]
Coordinates:
            time: [ 791.. 791]
            lev_p: [950..50]
            lat: [-87.8638..87.8638]
            lon: [ 0..357.1875]
Number Of Attributes: 1
  _FillValue :  9.96921e+36

Variable: w
Type: float
Total Size: 655360 bytes
            163840 values
Number of Dimensions: 4
Dimensions and sizes:   [time | 1] x [lev_p | 20] x [lat | 64] x [lon | 128]
Coordinates:
            time: [ 791.. 791]
            lev_p: [950..50]
            lat: [-87.8638..87.8638]