[ncl-talk] interpolating pressure levels to height levels

dave montgomery montgomery_dave at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 16 22:43:42 MST 2018

Dear Ncl-talk,Is there a way to interpolate or convert as well as to plot a 4D (time,level,lat,lon) variable that is already on pressure levels (hPa) to height levels (m)? In other words, my goal is to plot the data in height levels (m) rather than in hPa. I am aware of the "gsn_csm_pres_hgt_vector" function for plotting, however, it only plots pressure levels on the Y-axis left side which it uses as the main axis for its plot and not the Y-axis right side. I even came upon an example from NCL archive (http://www.hao.ucar.edu/modeling/tgcm/NCL/Graphics/Scripts/zplat_6.ncl) which I used but to no avail. I got error messages: fatal:Undefined identifier: (halfzp) is undefined, can't continue; fatal:["Execute.c":8640]:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 16 in file zplat.ncl. I know I don't have the "halfzp" identifier. I thought it's one of NCL resources. I have attached my script and the ".nc" file for your perusal.
Any assistance on the best way to go would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks.Dave