[ncl-talk] Eddy growth rate and Barotropic Instabilities

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Tue Feb 13 16:39:28 MST 2018

As noted in Wikipedia:
  The *Eady Model* is an atmospheric model for baroclinic instability.
---

Still, it has been used for the oceans as well. For example:

Sloyan, B. M., and T. J. O'Kane (2015)
Drivers of decadal variability in the Tasman Sea
J. Geophys. Res. Oceans, 120, 3193–3210
doi:10.1002/2014JC010550 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/2014JC010550>

See equation (1). There is a brief description of the arguments.

---
In form, it is the same as used by NCL's 'eady_growth_rate'

I am not familiar with EGR applications for the ocean. Please talk with
your advisor.

---
Attached is the NCL 'eady_growth_rate' code. You can changes as you see fit.

Good luck