[ncl-talk] Computation of baroclinity in TC environments

George Vandenberghe george.vandenberghe at noaa.gov
Fri Feb 9 08:52:04 MST 2018

Where the concept is relevant  (with an enormous number of caveats, yes)
is to answer the fundamental question, will TC interaction with
baroclinicity, induce transition to a growing or stable baroclinic
system (often observed) or will the TC perturbation just damp out (also
often observed) with a theoretically expected but hard to actually point
out, increase in baroclinic available potential energy for some future
perturbation to extract.

I am obviously not an expert either (and my M.S is 31 years stale)  and
I did sleep at home last night, not in a Holiday Inn Express but I think
it is a tractable forecast and theoretical modeling problem, again with
the caveats mentioned below.

Casually plugging this into a program without understanding the concepts
is worrisome, also agreed.

Thanks everyone for the response!