[ncl-talk] correlation between jjas averaged SST and rainfall

Rashed Mahmood rashidcomsis at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 05:28:51 MST 2018

Hi Sujata,
I think the way you calculated JJAS anomaly mean using running average
should also work to calculate JJAS means. An alternative approach is given
below. This assumes that your data time series starts at January and end at
December. Let's us say sst is the variable name then:

    nyear    = 30
    nmon     = 12
    months   =
(/"jan","feb","mar","apr","may","jun","jul","aug","sep","oct","nov","dec"/)
    jjas_ids = ind(months.eq."jun" .or. months.eq."jul" .or.
months.eq."aug".or. months.eq."sep")

     LAT        = sst&lat
     LON        = sst&lon
     NLAT       = dimsizes(LAT)
     NLON       = dimsizes(LON)
     mean_dat   = new((/nyear,nmon,NLAT,MLON/),typeof(sst),sst at _FillValue)
     mean_dat!0 = "time"
     mean_dat!1 = "lat"
     mean_dat!2 = "lon"
     mean_dat&time = ispan(0,nyear-1,1)
     modis_aod&lat = LAT
     modis_aod&lon = LON

   do n=0,nyears-1
      tmp_varb         = sst(n*nmon:(n+1)*nmon-1,:,:)
      mean_dat(n,:,:)  = dim_avg_n_Wrap(tmp_varb(jjas_ids,:,:),0)
      delete(tmp_varb)
   end do

     jjas_clim           = dim_avg_n_Wrap(mean_dat,0)
     jjas_anom         = mean_dat
     jjas_anom         = mean_dat at _FillValue
   do n=0,nyears-1
     jjas_anom(n,:,:)  = mean_dat(n,:,:)-jjas_clim
   end do

This is untested and quickly typed response so there may be typos, please
check carefully.
hope that helps,

Cheers,
Rashed
Postdoc Fellow, Department of Atmospheric Science,
China University of Geosciences, Wuhan, China.