[ncl-talk] Getting North to be Up on plots from WRF_lc_8.ncl ?

Ronald Stenz rds238 at cornell.edu
Mon Dec 17 13:14:54 MST 2018

How do I get North to be on the top of my plots using WRF_lc_8.ncl?  I am
using the same code given on the website, where the plots shown have north
in the upward direction.  However, on my plot which is attached, north is
towards the upper right corner of the plot... it is not directly upward.
What should I be doing to fix this?

I am using the lambert conformal grid in WRF.  My code is below (same as
the website)  Thanks!  :

;----------------------------------------------------------------------
; WRF_lc_8.ncl
;
; Concepts illustrated:
;   - Plotting WRF data that's on a Lambert Conformal map projection
;   - Using gsn_csm_vector_scalar_map to plot WRF-ARW data
;   - Drawing wind barbs over filled contours
;   - Creating a color map using named colors
;   - Drawing raster contours
;----------------------------------------------------------------------
; WRF: near surface winds and total precipitation
;----------------------------------------------------------------------
; These files are loaded by default in NCL V6.2.0 and newer
; load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/gsn_code.ncl"
; load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/gsn_csm.ncl"
; load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/wrf/WRFUserARW.ncl"

begin
;
; Open file
; Read U10 and V10, Cumulus (rinc) and Non-cumulus (rainnc) prc
;
  f       = addfile ("wrfout_d01_000000_25time.nc","r")
  rainc   = f->RAINC                 ; (Time, south_north, west_east)
  rainnc  = f->RAINNC
  u10     = f->U10                   ; (Time, south_north, west_east)
  v10     = f->V10

  times   = wrf_user_getvar(f,"times",-1)
  ntim    = dimsizes(times)          ; # time steps

;
; Use NCL operator > to make sure all values >=0.0
; Sum components and assign attributes
;
  rainc   = rainc  > 0.0
  rainnc  = rainnc > 0.0
  rainTot = rainc + rainnc
  rainTot at description = "Total Precipitation"
  rainTot at units       =  rainc at units

  wks = gsn_open_wks("png","WRF_lc")

  colors = (/"white","azure"          \
            ,"green","palegreen","yellowgreen", "greenyellow" \
            ,"yellow","goldenrod","orange","orangered"        \
            ,"red","deeppinK", "violet","darkviolet"          \
            ,"blueviolet","blue"                              /)

  res                       = True             ; plot mods desired
  res at gsnMaximize           = True             ; maximize size
  res at gsnScalarContour      = True               ; contours desired
  res at gsnLeftString         = "Wind Vectors (m/s)"
  res at gsnRightString        = "Total Precipitation (mm)"

  res at cnFillOn              = True             ; color plot desired
  res at cnFillPalette         = colors           ; define colors for contour plot
  res at cnLinesOn             = False            ; turn off contour lines
  res at cnLineLabelsOn        = False            ; turn off contour labels
  res at cnFillMode            = "RasterFill"     ; raster
  res at cnLevelSelectionMode  = "ExplicitLevels" ; explicit [unequal] cn levels
  res at cnLevels              =
(/0,0.1,1,2.5,5,7.5,10,15,20,25,37.5,50,75,100,125,150/)

  res at vcGlyphStyle          = "WindBarb"
  res at vcRefLengthF          = 0.025            ; ref vec length
  res at vcMinDistanceF        = 0.025            ; larger means sparser
  res at vcWindBarbTickLengthF = 0.4              ; default 0.3
  res at vcRefAnnoOn           = False

  res = wrf_map_resources(f,res)
  res at gsnAddCyclic          = False            ; regional data: not cyclic
  res at tfDoNDCOverlay        = True

  res at mpFillOn                    = False
  res at mpGeophysicalLineColor      = "black"    ; wrf_map_resources uses "gray"
  res at mpUSStateLineColor          = "black"
  res at mpGeophysicalLineThicknessF = 2.0        ; wrf_map_resources uses 0.5
  res at mpUSStateLineThicknessF     = 2.0
;
; Plot one time and level for demo
; .  create u and v on a common grid for visualization: nothing fancy
;
  nt = 12
;;do nt=0,ntim-1                               ; uncomment to loop
     res at tiMainString             = times(nt)
     plot = gsn_csm_vector_scalar_map(wks,u10(nt,:,:),v10(nt,:,:),rainTot(nt,:,:),res)
;;end do

end

Virus-free.
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>