[ncl-talk] Mapping issue on Polar Stereographic projection over Antarctica

Deniz Bozkurt bozkurtd at itu.edu.tr
Mon Dec 10 13:04:03 MST 2018

Dear NCL,

I am struggling with a correct representation of WRF output over the Antarctic Peninsula. I believe that the issue is related with Polar Stereographic projection of WRF configuration:

CEN_LAT : -61.98499
CEN_LON : -72.011
TRUELAT1 : -61.985
TRUELAT2 : -90
MOAD_CEN_LAT : -61.985
STAND_LON : -72.011
POLE_LAT : 90
POLE_LON :  0
GMT :  0
MAP_PROJ : 2
MAP_PROJ_CHAR : Polar Stereographic

Note that I am using a post-processed WRF file produced by “wrfout_to_cf.ncl” (http://foehn.colorado.edu/wrfout_to_cf/overview.html). Although I have defined the projection information in the script, I am still having a slight shift of contour fields in the map plot. I attach my script and a comparison of NCL vs. ncview to illustrate the shifting. I have tried to put my data "wrfout_d02_2010-01-01_06-post.nc” to the ncl ftp server but not sure if it worked, therefore, a dropbox link of the data is also provided here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/erajyyon7mum0zn/wrfout_d02_2010-01-01_06-post.nc?dl=0

I would be grateful if someone could help me address the problem.

Thanks in advance,
Deniz

--
Deniz Bozkurt, PhD