[ncl-talk] ESMF Regridding of WRF output files - issues on variable coordinates

Laura Fowler laura at ucar.edu
Thu Dec 6 08:19:34 MST 2018

Hi Mirce:
I think that if you look at the description of filedimdef, you will
understand how to specify the dimensions that you would like to see in your
regridded netcdf file. When using filedimdef, then the actual named
dimensions of your variables will be written instead of all the ncl01,
ncl02, etc dimensions. Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Laura

On Wed, Dec 5, 2018 at 10:08 PM Mirce Morales <mirce.morales at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I am trying to regrid some variables in my WRF output files (wrfout_d0*),
> to do it, I am taking as a guide the following script on the NCL web page:
> https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/Scripts/ESMF_regrid_20.ncl
>
> Up to now, I was able to run the script without error, but I see that if I
> do ncdump -h "My regridded file", there is like a matrix of numbers where
> the XLAT and XLONG should be, so it is not possible to see the variables
> and their attributes well....to avoid that, I found out I have to set
> opt at CopyVarCoords  = False.
>
> The problem is that when I do that, now I get the following kind of
> attributes in my regridded files:
>
> *netcdf wrfout_d03_2010-09-01_00\:00\:00 {*
> *dimensions:*
> *        ncl0 = 1 ;*
> *        ncl1 = 156 ;*
> *        ncl2 = 138 ;*
> *        ncl3 = 1 ;*
> *        ncl4 = 156 ;*
> *        ncl5 = 138 ;*
> *        ncl6 = 1 ;*
> *        ncl7 = 156 ;*
> *        ncl8 = 138 ;*
> *        ncl9 = 1 ;*
> *        ncl10 = 156 ;*
> *        ncl11 = 138 ;*
> *        ncl12 = 1 ;*
> *        ncl13 = 156 ;*
> *        ncl14 = 138 ;*
> *        ncl15 = 1 ;*
> *        ncl16 = 156 ;*
> *        ncl17 = 138 ;*
> *        ncl18 = 1 ;*
> *        ncl19 = 156 ;*
> *        ncl20 = 138 ;*
> *        ncl21 = 1 ;*
> *        ncl22 = 156 ;*
> *        ncl23 = 138 ;*
> *        ncl24 = 1 ;*
> *        ncl25 = 156 ;*
> *        ncl26 = 138 ;*
> *        ncl27 = 1 ;*
> *        ncl28 = 156 ;*
> *        ncl29 = 138 ;*
> *        ncl30 = 1 ;*
> *        ncl31 = 156 ;*
> *        ncl32 = 138 ;*
> *variables:*
> *        float T2(ncl0, ncl1, ncl2) ;*
> *                T2:missing_value = 9.96921e+36f ;*
> *                T2:remap = "remapped via ESMF_regrid_with_weights:
> Bilinear" ;*
> *                T2:_FillValue = 9.96921e+36f ;*
> *                T2:FieldType = 104 ;*
> *                T2:MemoryOrder = "XY " ;*
> *                T2:description = "TEMP at 2 M" ;*
> *                T2:units = "K" ;*
> *                T2:stagger = "" ;*
>
> When it should be similar to this:
>
> *netcdf wrfout_d03_2010-09-01_01\:00\:00 {*
> *dimensions:*
> * Time = UNLIMITED ; // (1 currently)*
> * DateStrLen = 19 ;*
> * west_east = 54 ;*
> * south_north = 60 ;*
> * bottom_top = 49 ;*
> * bottom_top_stag = 50 ;*
> * soil_layers_stag = 4 ;*
> * west_east_stag = 55 ;*
> * south_north_stag = 61 ;*
> [...]

Laura D. Fowler

Mesoscale and Microscale Meteorology Division (MMM)
P.O. Box 3000, Boulder CO 80307-3000

e-mail: laura at ucar.edu
phone: 303-497-1628