[ncl-talk] Hovmueller plot - x axis range adjustment

Toni Klemm toni-klemm at tamu.edu
Fri Aug 31 11:34:16 MDT 2018

Hello all,

I'm trying to plot a time series of data in the form of a Hovmueller plot, but I have trouble adjusting the x axis such that it shows the range of longitudes correctly. Instead of the longitude range, -105 to -95 degrees East in 0.5 degrees increments, it shows a range from 0 to 18 on the x axis of the plot. Longitudes are included in the netCDF file as variable “lon_zones”. I tried to adjust the x axis range manually using res at trXMinF and res at trXMaxF, but I got this error message:

warning:ContourPlotSetValues: X coordinates out of data range: defaulting

I used example 5 here (https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/time_lon.shtml <https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/time_lon.shtml>) as a template, but I didn’t find an explanation for how the x axis shows longitudes there.

Any help would be much appreciated!

I attached the netCDF file, the plot, and my script.

Thank you,
Toni

Toni Klemm, Ph.D.
Postdoctoral Research Associate
Department of Ecosystem Science and Management
College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
Texas A&M University, College Station, TX
Contributor to the Early Career Climate Forum <http://www.eccforum.org/>
www.toni-klemm.de <http://www.toni-klemm.de/> | @toniklemm <http://twitter.com/toniklemm>