[ncl-talk] Problem with calculation of wet bulb temperature

Bill Ladwig ladwig at ucar.edu
Tue Aug 28 11:09:14 MDT 2018

Hi Barry,

Modifying the table isn't easy, but if you like to live dangerously, I can
show you where the file is.

When NCL is installed, the file is installed here:

$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/data/asc/psadilookup.dat

For the source code, it is located here:

{NCL_SOURCE_ROOT}/ni/src/examples/data/asc/psadilookup.dat

There is a brief description at the top of the file that explains how to
read the data in Fortran, but it should give you some idea of how you might
modify the values. As long as you keep the dimensions the same (e.g. 150 x
150), then you can probably shift the table in to your region of interest.
The table is read in when the wetbulb and CAPE algorithms are run, so you
shouldn't have to change anything but the table.  You probably want to make
a copy of this file and store it somewhere else before modifying the values.

Unfortunately, I don't think we have the original code that generated the
table, so you're probably on your own implementing the algorithm from
Bolton. But, it might be buried in the RIP source code somewhere, which is
where the algorithm originally came from.

Hope this helps,

Bill