[ncl-talk] gsnPanelLabelBar with gsn_csm_blank_plot

Daniel Adriaansen - NCAR dadriaan at ucar.edu
Thu Aug 23 13:53:36 MDT 2018

Hello,

I am paneling some contour plots using gsn_panel. Each panel is a contour
plot corresponding to different data from unique files. If a file is
missing, in lieu of calling gsn_csm_contour, I call gsn_csm_blank_plot to
keep the workspace symmetric. This works except when gsn_csm_blank_plot is
the "upper-left-most" panel. In that case, gsn_panel fails and returns the
error:

fatal:Variable (mono_fill_scl) is undefined

I found this old ncl-talk ticket from 2017:
http://mailman.ucar.edu/pipermail/ncl-talk/2017-April/008585.html

There it describes how the gsnPanelLabelBar resource doesn't play nicely
when the plots being paneled are X-Y plots. Indeed, when I set this
resource to False my code runs successfully, however I am not creating any
X-Y plots. To make matters more confusing, if I call gsn_csm_blank plot in
any other position than the "upper-left-most", then it works just fine.
It's only when the "upper-left-most" panel is gsn_csm_blank_plot that my
script fails.

It looks like based on the NCL documentation that "The common label bar is
draw from the first plot, and assumes all are the same." (
https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/panel.shtml). Also on that page, I
see a resource called "gsnPanelScalePlotIndex", which is used to control
which plot in the list of plots to panel to obtain scale factor information
from. Is there a way to control the same thing but for the common label bar?

Thanks in advance!

-Dan