[ncl-talk] t-test

Serena Illig serena.illig at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 01:53:56 MDT 2018

Dear all,

I checked, just out of curiosity.
As far as I understood, the time series on Fig1 are smoothed (spatial)
correlation. They call it pattern correlation coefficients (maybe simply:
https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Contributed/pattern_cor.shtml).
So they are correlation coefficients and the threshold level for the 90%
significance (cf. caption Fig. 1) are simply the threshold associated with
the significance of the correlation (using a 2 tailed t-test with n-2,
maybe simply:
https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/rtest.shtml).
I hope this helps.

Serena

.¸. , . .·´¯`·
 ><(((º>     `·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><(((º>¸.¸. , . .·´¯`· ><(((º> .
`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><(((º>                                                  .

  .
  Serena ILLIG-THEVENIN       LEGOS/IRD       .
                                                                           .
             University of Cape Town - UCT          .
             Department of Oceanography           .
             Private Bag X3, Rondebosch  7701   .
             SOUTH AFRICA                                  .

.
   E-mail     : *serena.illig at ird.fr <serena.illig at ird.fr> *
             .
   Web-site : http://sillig.free.fr                             .
   Fax         : +27 21 650 3979                          .
                                                                    .