[ncl-talk] t-test

Morteza Qadimi mqadimi at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 9 00:08:24 MDT 2018

Hi,

I need to separate CP and EP El Niño years by the method used in a paper (A new method to classify ENSO events into eastern and central Pacific types). I have obtained an (1D) EOF-based pattern correlation coefficient array (say EPC1). Then the author says:
" The EP type El Niño is defined as the case when the EPC1 index is equal to or greater than 0.79 which is significant at the 90% confidence level from the two-tailed Student’s t-test."
How author has calculated 0.79? Does NCL has a function for that? It has been 2 weeks i am asking for a solution. please help me.