[ncl-talk] using gsn_coordinates with panel plots

Laura Fowler laura at ucar.edu
Fri Aug 3 09:00:00 MDT 2018

Hello:

I wrote a ncl script to make a panel plot (/3,2)/). Initially, none of the
individual plots (plot(0), plot(1),...) contains missing data. Now, when I
plot two of the individual plots (plot(0), plot(1),...) with data that
contains missing values, then the same script hangs forever, or so it seems.

After reading the documentation, it looks like I may need to use
gsn_coordinates to handle missing values in a panel plot. So I added the
following lines below each call so that I have:

pres = True

pres at gsnCoordsAttach = True

res at gsnLeftString  = left_strs(0)

res at gsnRightString = right_strs(0)

res at gsnLeftStringParallelPosF = -0.09

plot(0) = gsn_csm_contour_map(wks,lwd_a,res)

gsn_coordinates(wks,plot(0),lwd_a,pres)

res at gsnLeftString  = left_strs(1)

res at gsnRightString = right_strs(1)

res at gsnLeftStringParallelPosF = -0.09

plot(1) = gsn_csm_contour_map(wks,lwj_a,res)

gsn_coordinates(wks,plot(1),lwj_a,pres)
.
.
.

But the script still hangs? Is there anything else that I need to do?

Thanks,
Laura

--
Laura D. Fowler

Mesoscale and Microscale Meteorology Division (MMM)
P.O. Box 3000, Boulder CO 80307-3000

e-mail: laura at ucar.edu
phone: 303-497-1628