[ncl-talk] confused about tickmarks

Laura Fowler laura at ucar.edu
Thu Aug 2 09:41:27 MDT 2018

Hello:

Following the -email I sent yesterday regarding tickmarks, I simplified my
ncl script to understand about the bottom tickmarks are labelled by default
so that I can understand how to change them using tmXBValues and
tmXBLabels. The simplified script is in

/glade2/scratch2/laura/MPASprojects.2018/forPUBLICATION/TENDENCIES/rect.cu_kain_fritsch_sca.20151129-20160102
and the script is plot.ncl. Also see attached plot dtcup.kf.pdf.

I tried to retrieve the default values of tmXBValues with the lines:

res2 at tmXBMode = "Automatic"

plot = gsn_csm_pres_hgt(wks,dtcup_interp_kf,res2)

getvalues plot

   "tmXBValues" : tmXBValues

end getvalues

print(" ")

print(tmXBValues)

Then I get:

Variable: tmXBValues

Type: float

Total Size: 16 bytes

            4 values

Number of Dimensions: 1

Dimensions and sizes: [4]

Coordinates:

(0) 0

(1) 100

(2) 200

(3) 300

(0)

which is super confusing to me since the plot shows at least 6 values for
the major tickmarks and not just 4. Is it possible to actually set
different XB labels with gsn_csm_pres_hgt?

I would really appreciate some hints on how to do this.

Many thanks,

Laura

--
Laura D. Fowler

Mesoscale and Microscale Meteorology Division (MMM)
P.O. Box 3000, Boulder CO 80307-3000

e-mail: laura at ucar.edu
phone: 303-497-1628