[ncl-talk] tickmark labels

Laura Fowler laura at ucar.edu
Wed Aug 1 16:12:59 MDT 2018

Hello:

I am trying to make a panel plot (3 rows and 2 columns) using
gsn_csm_contour for the left panels and gsn_csm_pres_hgt, so that I have
maps on the left and longitude versus pressure cross sections on the
right.

For the maps on the left side, the data is from an unstructured mesh MPAS
output. I used the boundaries

res at mpCenterLonF      =  180.

res at mpMinLatF         = -30.

res at mpMaxLatF         =  30.

res at mpMinLonF         = 130.

res at mpMaxLonF         = 310.

res at mpShapeMode       = "FreeAspect"

res at vpWidthF         = 0.8

res at vpHeightF        = 0.4

As you can see with test1.png, the bottom X axis has the labels 150E, 180,
150W, 120W, 90W, and 60W which is great.

To plot the longitude versus pressure cross-sections, I first used ESMF to
regrid the MPAS data on a 0.2 deg by 0.2 deg lat-lon mesh, then averaged
the data between 2.1 N and 9.9 N, and then limited the array to 130E to
310N, so that printVarSummary give me:

Variable: dtcup_interp_kf

Type: float

Total Size: 100912 bytes

            25228 values

Number of Dimensions: 2

Dimensions and sizes: [lev | 28] x [lon | 901]

Coordinates:

            lev: [1000..70]

            lon: [ 130.. 310]

I would like the labels on the bottom axis for the cross-sections to be the
same as for the map on the left so I added:
res2 at tmXBOn       = True

res2 at tmXBLabelsOn = True

res2 at tmXBMode     = "Explicit"

res2 at tmXBValues   = (/100,250,400,550,700,850/)

res2 at tmXBLabels   = (/"150E","180","150W","120W","90W","60W"/)

for the set of resources I need for the longitude cross sections. Then, I
got test2.png but this is not right. I am not sure what to do next. Is it
because I am using an unstructured mesh on the left side?

Thanks,
Laura

--
Laura D. Fowler

Mesoscale and Microscale Meteorology Division (MMM)
P.O. Box 3000, Boulder CO 80307-3000

e-mail: laura at ucar.edu
phone: 303-497-1628