[ncl-talk] Filled polygon on xyplot causes postscript file error on opening

Tess Parker tess.parker at monash.edu
Mon Apr 30 00:26:14 MDT 2018

I'm having an issue drawing a filled polygon on an xy line plot. The error
seems to be related to the size of the polygon somehow.

Although my script dynamically determines the x and y coordinates of the
polygon, and executes correctly with smaller polygons, I encounter an error
with larger polygons. The NCL script completes without any error messages,
but on opening the .eps file using MacOS and Preview, no .pdf is produced
in Preview.

I've tried running exactly the same script for various instances, and
smaller polygons run without problems. When I manually change the x and y
coordinates of the larger polygon, where the error was encountered, the
problem goes away.

Is there some maximum limit to the size of a filled polygon? - I can't find
any reference to this online...

I basically have an xy plot with y-axis values from 0 - 6500, and x-axis
values from 280 - 330, and a couple of lines plotted using gsn_csm_xy. If
the polygon is drawn on this plot using
*polyres = True*
*polyres at gsFillColor  = "lightblue1"*
*polyres at tfPolyDrawOrder = "PreDraw"*
*polyres at gsFillOpacityF  = 0.2*
*dummy = new(1,graphic)*
*dummy =
gsn_add_polygon(wks,plot,(/280.0,330.0,330.0,280.0,280.0/),(/2815,2815,826,826,2815/),polyres)*
the plot fails to open a .pdf from the .eps file. (I use "PreDraw" so that
the shading underlies the line plots.)

If I alter the y-coordinates to (/1815,1815,826,826,1815/) then there is no
problem.

Any ideas?

Many thanks,
Tess