[ncl-talk] offline global MOC calculation with CCSM3

Amanda Frigola afrigola at marum.de
Fri Apr 27 03:27:09 MDT 2018

Dear all,

I ​would like to use ncl to calculate global MOC from the CCSM3 output, as default MOC calculations were turned off in my runs.
I found the function moc_globe_atl which does that: http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/moc_globe_atl.shtml.
Nevertheless, this function requires lat_aux_grid as input parameter, and this variable is again unfortunately not available from my model output runs.

My question would be: Is there a way to compute lat_aux_grid from the model output variables ULAT (or TLAT) or similar?

Alternatively I thought of computing global MOC manually adapting the algorithm described in https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/moc.shtml, using VVEL.
I was though wondering if neglecting the eddy-related meridional velocities would have a big impact on the results.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Best wishes,Amanda​​