[ncl-talk] NCL plotting error

Rick Brownrigg brownrig at ucar.edu
Thu Apr 26 15:14:41 MDT 2018

Hi,

There message saying "can't open the .names file" suggests NCL is not
finding its map databases, which in turn suggests the environment variable
NCARG_ROOT is not set, or not set correctly. Please see the 2nd
question/answer in the FAQ for how to do that:

http://ncl.ucar.edu/FAQ/

If that doesn't correct the situation, please write back to the group, and
as Kevin stated, details on the operating system and installation method
would be helpful.

Rick