[ncl-talk] how to use shapefile to creat a nc mask file

WUJIE 393069045 at qq.com
Thu Apr 26 08:29:30 MDT 2018

Hi Sir,

While I have used NCL for some months, I still cannot understand that how to use shapefile to creat a mask nc file.
I am now having a basin's shp and I wanna to creat a ncfile as a basin mask. This enables me to calculate the basin mean temperature data using this mask nc (i.e. exclude the values out of the basin)
I gave a read here (https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/Scripts/mask_12.ncl), but this is not clear to me.

Could you please give me an example?

I attached one shp as an example (see attached). I am really looking forward to your kind help, thanks!

Jie