[ncl-talk] how to replace missing value

Kevin Hallock hallock at ucar.edu
Wed Apr 18 12:01:03 MDT 2018

Hi Ning,

NCL’s where() <https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/where.shtml> and ismissing() <https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/ismissing.shtml> functions should be helpful for this task.

Here’s an example of how you could replace missing values in Y with values from the corresponding index in X:
y = where(.not.ismissing(y), y, x)

This could also be written as:
y = where(ismissing(y), x, y)

I hope this helps,