[ncl-talk] convert polyline shapefile to netcdf via ncl_convert2nc

Rick Brownrigg brownrig at ucar.edu
Sat Apr 7 12:34:24 MDT 2018

Hi Lyndz,

I'm not sure there is a "correct" way to do this. NetCDF is really good at
representing regular arrays of data, whereas polylines/polygons tend to
have varying numbers of coordinate pairs -- what would lat and lon
variables look like in that case, and what would be the meaning of lat/lon
dimensions?  NCL makes a shapefile *look* like a NetCDF file by packing the
coordinate information for all features into the x/y variables, but then
one has to utilize the geometry and segments variables to unpack
coordinates for each feature. The shapefiles examples page show many
examples of doing this:

    http://ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/shapefiles.shtml

If you are working with NCL, you are probably better off leaving your data
as a shapefile*. *I take it however that you have other reasons for wanting
a NetCDF file?

Finally, I might comment that the conversion result may not be correct --
its suspect to me that the "num_points" value is exactly twice the value of
"num_features" -- I wonder if maybe just the end-points of the tracks where
what got captured in the conversion?

Rick