[ncl-talk] set_dimension_query

Adam Phillips asphilli at ucar.edu
Thu Sep 28 09:57:57 MDT 2017

Hi Kunal,
As the documentation states, latGlobeFo (lonGlobeFo) generates latitudes
(longitudes) and associated metadata for a *global* fixed offset grid.
https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Contributed/latGlobeFo.shtml
https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Contributed/lonGlobeFo.shtml
If you need to create coordinates for a regional grid, then you will have
to do it by hand. For example, if you know your data are equally spaced in
the both the latitude and longitude direction from 0:40N, 60:100E (for
example), you can set up your coordinates like this:

lat = fspan(0,40,1200)
lon = fspan(60,100,1200)
print(lat)   ; check that these are the correct coordinates
print(lon)   ; check that these are the correct coordinates
lat at units = "degrees_north"
lat!0 = "lat"
lat&lat = lat
lon at units = "degrees_east"
lon!0 = "lon"
lon&lon = lon
var!0 = "lat"    ; you can name these dimensions whatever you want..
var!1 = "lon"
var&lat = lat     ; but make sure you refer to the correct named dimensions
var&lon = lon

The above is similar to what latGlobeFo/lonGlobeFo do for global grids.
Hope that helps. If you have further questions please respond to ncl-talk.
Adam

On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 10:26 AM, Kunal Bali <kunal.bali9 at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>>

>>>  do nf=0,nfili-1
>>>
>>>       pthi = diri+fili(nf)
>>>
>>>       f      = addfile(pthi,"r")

>>>      filroot = *str_get_cols*(fili(nf), 0, 27)  ; eg:
>>> "MAIACTAOT.h00v02.20000570505"
>>>
>>>      filnc    = filroot+".nc"
>>>
>>>      pthnc  = dirnc + filnc
>>>
>>>      system("/bin/rm -f "+pthnc)
>>>      ncdf = addfile(pthnc,"c")  ; open new netCDF file

>>> end do    ; end 'nf' loop
>>>

>>> =====
>>>
>>> If there is something you do not understand use some print statements.
>>>
>>> Become familiar with the 'string' category. Look at all the functions.
>>>
>>>    https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/string.shtml
>>>
>>> Please read the documentation for the function used above
>>>
>>>    https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/str_get
>>> _cols.shtml
>>>
>>> Good Luck
>>>

>>> On Mon, Sep 18, 2017 at 6:11 AM, Kunal Bali <kunal.bali9 at gmail.com>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thnks for the reply.
>>>

>>> that will change the name of only one file. isn't it. but what about the
>>> other files
>>>
>>> I have 365 files in one directory and I need to change all the file name
>>> one by one.
>>>

>>> Kunal Bali
>>>

>>> On Mon, Sep 18, 2017 at 5:14 PM, Dennis Shea <shea at ucar.edu> wrote:
>>>
>>> Really?
>>>
>>> Change:
>>>       system("/bin/rm -f simple.nc")
>>>       ncdf = addfile("simple.nc" ,"c")
>>>
>>> To:
>>>       system("/bin/rm -f MAIACTAOT.h00v02.20000570505.nc
>>> <http://simple.nc>")
>>>       ncdf = addfile("MAIACTAOT.h00v02.20000570505.nc" ,"c")
>>>

>>> On Mon, Sep 18, 2017 at 12:37 AM, Kunal Bali <kunal.bali9 at gmail.com>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks, it worked.
>>>
>>> one more question is that.
>>>
>>> I used the code (given below). So it gives simple.nc name as an output
>>> file.
>>>
>>> ncdf = addfile("simple.nc" ,"c")
>>>
>>> If I want to keep the original file name with the output file name then
>>> what should I do?
>>>
>>> I mean the original file name is MAIACTAOT.h00v02.20003660700.hdf
>>>
>>> Now I want to create my netcdf file name  as
>>> MAIACTAOT.h00v02.20003660700.nc NOT simple.nc.
>>>
>>> I can not simply write simple.nc file name because I have many files.
>>>
>>> e.g I have one directory having 365 .hdf file. So I need to convert all
>>> the hdf file to netcdf file at once with the same name of original file
>>> names.
>>>
>>> I hope you have got my query.
>>>
>>> please let me know that too.
>>>

>>> Thank You
>>>

>>> Kunal Bali

>>> On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 9:09 PM, Adam Phillips <asphilli at ucar.edu>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Kunal,
>>>
>>> It looks to me like your latitudes are flipped. You are setting up and
>>> assigning your coordinate lat/lon variables in this coding:

>>> nlon = 1200
> [...]
>>>        fAtt at creation_date = systemfunc ("date")
>>>        fileattdef( ncdf, fAtt )            ; copy file attributes
>>>
>>>     ;===================================================================
>>>     ; make time an UNLIMITED dimension; recommended  for most
>>> applications
>>>     ;===================================================================
>>>        filedimdef(ncdf,"time",-1,True)
>>>        ncdf->var = var
>>>
>>> end
>>>

>>> Kunal Bali

>>> On Wed, Sep 13, 2017 at 11:27 PM, Kunal Bali <kunal.bali9 at gmail.com>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> No problem, I sorted out.
>>>
>>> Just changed short to float.
>>>

>>> Kunal Bali
>>>
>>> Research Scholar
>>>
>>> Radio & Atmospheric Science Division
>>>
>>> CSIR - National Physical Laboratory
>>>
>>> New Delhi - 110012
>>>
>>> India
>>>

>>> On Wed, Sep 13, 2017 at 11:24 PM, Kunal Bali <kunal.bali9 at gmail.com>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks for providing this information.
>>>
>>> Also, I would like to mention that when I plot this data. The values are
>>> not in the domain. I mean the real values lie in-between 0 to 1 but here it
>>> is reaching to 400.
>>>
>>> So, how to correct the values?
>>>
>>> Description of the variable is
>>>
>>> short Optical_Depth_055(YDim=1200, XDim=1200);
>>>   :long_name = "AOT at 0.55 micron";
>>>   :scale_factor = 0.001; // double
>>>   :add_offset = 0.0; // double
>>>   :unit = "None";
>>>   :_FillValue = -28672S; // short
>>>   :valid_range = -100S, 5000S; // short
>>>

>>> Kunal Bali

>>> On Wed, Sep 13, 2017 at 10:28 PM, Adam Phillips <asphilli at ucar.edu>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Kunal,
>>>
>>> Yes, clicking on the output netCDF link from the Applications page:
>>>
>>> http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/o-netcdf.shtml
>>>
>>> I would recommend following the inefficient method #1. Unless you are
>>> writing a file with many large variables, the inefficient method works just
>>> fine.
>>>
>>> http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/method_1.shtml
>>>
>>> Good luck,
>>>
>>> Adam
>>>

>>> On Wed, Sep 13, 2017 at 10:25 AM, Kunal Bali <kunal.bali9 at gmail.com>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thank you so much, it worked
>>>
>>> I want to know one more thing.
>>> After rearranging the dimensions can we now convert (or write) this
>>> arranged file into netcdf format?
>>>

>>> Kunal Bali

>>> On Wed, Sep 13, 2017 at 8:55 PM, Adam Phillips <asphilli at ucar.edu>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Kunal,
>>>
>>> I think you just need to rearrange the order of your lines and tweak a
>>> couple of lines. As the error message states, lat is not defined in your
>>> 3rd line and you are referring to it as if it is.Try this:
>>>
>>> a = addfile("/media/Local Disk/NPL/MODIS_FPC/MAIACTAOT.h
>>> nlon = 1200