[ncl-talk] Map plotting for a specific region

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Thu Sep 21 17:33:45 MDT 2017

This type of map is reproducible in NCL, but we don't have a script that
generates exactly this kind of plot.

This plot has several elements:

1. A large map and a smaller map in the upper right corner
2. A legend with markers and lines
3. Some text outside and inside the two plots
4. Two black-and-white labelbars

1. You can draw the two maps simply by using gsn_csm_map for each one.  If
you need special outlines for geographical areas, then you can probably get
these via a shapefile. As a start, see:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/shapefiles.shtml#ex3
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/polyg.shtml#ex20

You can download shapefiles for Iran, Iraq, Kuwait, etc, from
gadm.org/country

2. To plot the marker and line legend, you need to use calls to
gsn_polyline_ndc and gsn_polymarker_ndc. See:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/scatter.shtml#ex7
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/polyg.shtml#ex18
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/legend.shtml#ex7

3. To draw various text strings both inside and outside a plot, you need to
use gsn_add_text for inside the plot, and gsn_text_ndc for outside the
plot. See the various examples on the text examples page:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/text.shtml

4. To create a labelbar, use gsn_create_labelbar.  There are many examples
of this.  See:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/polyg.shtml#ex8
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/annotate.shtml#ex2
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/maponly.shtml#ex15