[ncl-talk] How to read variables in hdf5 group

Laura Fowler laura at ucar.edu
Thu Sep 14 14:30:07 MDT 2017

Hello:

I would like to read a hdf5 file using ncl. After using ncdump, I see
that besides 4 global attributes the file also contains 2 groups. So,
after using addfile,  I read and print the group "flashes":

flashes = f=>flashes
print(flashes)

The beginning of the output from print is:

Number of Attributes:3
    CLASS : GROUP
    TITLE : Sorted LMA flash data
    VERSION : 1.0

variables:
    Variable: LMA_170510_210000_600
    Type: compound
    Total Size: 2590 values
                10360 bytes
    Number of Dimensions: 1
    Dimensions and sizes: [ 2590 <(null)> ]
    Coordinates:
        Number of Attributes:        35

            component_names : ( area, ctr_alt, ctr_lat, ctr_lon,
duration, flash_id, init_alt, init_lat, init_lon, init_pts, ... [Total
of 15 values] )

            CLASS : TABLE
            FIELD_0_FILL :  0
            FIELD_0_NAME : area
            FIELD_10_FILL :
            FIELD_10_NAME : n_points
            FIELD_11_FILL :  0
            FIELD_11_NAME : specific_energy

Now I would like to read the variables (area, ctr_alt, ...) in the
group "flashes" but cannot figure out how to access them. I looked
around the documentation but did not see an obvious example to do so.
Is there some more detailed documentation somewhere, or can someone
write me back on how to do this?

Thanks,
Laura

--