[ncl-talk] Full model and Half model height of WRF output

Bill Ladwig ladwig at ucar.edu
Fri Sep 1 09:44:11 MDT 2017

Hi Shreeta,

The "height" product from wrf_user_getvar and the half model levels are the
same, since the wrf_user_getvar routines always calculate the values on the
mass grid.  Unfortunately, the description for 'height' says 'full model
levels' but this is a bit of a misnomer, since it's actually the model
levels for the mass grid.  If you want the full model height, just do:

(ph + phb) / 9.81

The example for wrf_interp_1d must have been written before wrf_user_getvar
was implemented.  You should just use the 'height' product from
wrf_user_getvar when you want the height for half levels.

Hope this helps,

Bill