[ncl-talk] about wrf_map_resources

???????? ???????? skartsio at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 31 13:10:49 MDT 2017

Dear NCL-users

I'm encountering a strange behavior regarding the wrf_map_resources function in NCL's WRFUserARW.ncl file. I'm trying to plot precipitation field from a wrfout file (tot_rain_gsn_d01.ncl). Map projection is Lat/Lon as you can see in ncdump.txt while a rotated grid is assumed. The domain is the EURO-CORDEX domain.
Just for clarification, I want to plot in native grid, for that I enabled the options below,
res at tfDoNDCOverlay       = True
res at gsnAddCyclic             = False

NCL version is 6.3.0

When I use the default WRFUserARW.ncl file, I get the following error,
(0)     gsn_csm_map_ce: Fatal: The resources mpMinLonF/mpLeftCornerLonF must be less than the resources mpMaxLonF/mpRightCornerLonF.
(0)     Execution halted,
which as I understand is due to this information,
  mpRightCornerLonF :   68.72884
  mpRightCornerLatF :   66.90226
  mpLeftCornerLonF :   349.4225
  mpLeftCornerLatF :    20.57643
  mpLimitMode : Corners
upon printing wrf_map_resources.
The error is eliminated when I set mpLeftCornerLonF = min(pr at lon2d), as you can see in tot_rain_gsn_d01.ncl. By doing this I get the image in d01_rain_total_minlat.png file.
I tried to play around with the options in WRFUserARW.ncl file, in the section where wrf_map_resources function is located with no success. For example when I disable the mpCenterRotF option, I get the d01_rain_total_NOmpCenterRotF.png file. Moreover, when I add the mpCenterLatF option while turning on again the mpCenterRotF option, I get the d01_rain_total_mpCenterRotF-mpCenterLatF.png file.
What am I missing? Maybe some additional code is required?
Any help is appreciated.

Stergios Kartsios
Dep. of Meteorology and Climatology
Aristotle University of Thessaloniki