[ncl-talk] Trouble Reading Simple nc file

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Sun Oct 29 09:25:46 MDT 2017

Barry,

You are trying to print the variables without reading them off the file
first.  You have:

  printVarSummary(elevation)
  printVarSummary(rays_time)
  printMinMax(DigitalInstantaneousPrecipitationRate_RAW,False)
  printMinMax(DigitalInstantaneousPrecipitationRate,False)

These are indeed all variables on the file, but you need to read them off
the file before you can do a printVarSummary on them:

  printVarSummary(f->elevation)
  printVarSummary(f->rays_time)
  printMinMax(f->DigitalInstantaneousPrecipitationRate_RAW,False)
  printMinMax(f->DigitalInstantaneousPrecipitationRate,False)

or:

  elevation = f->elevation
  rays_time = f->rays_time
  dipr_raw  = f->DigitalInstantaneousPrecipitationRate_RAW
  dipr      = f->DigitalInstantaneousPrecipitationRate

  printVarSummary(elevation)
  printVarSummary(rays_time)
  printMinMax(elevation,0)
  printMinMax(rays_time,0)
  printMinMax(dipr_raw,0)
  printMinMax(dipr,0)

You will note that dipr is all NaNs. You need to replace the NaNs with
missing values:

;---Replace NaNs with missing values

  dipr at _FillValue = default_fillvalue(typeof(dipr))
  replace_ieeenan (dipr,dipr at _FillValue,0)

Finally,

You need to fix the do loop to go from 0 to n_files-1:

  do i_file = 0,n_files-1

Also, none of the paneling works because none of the plots have been
created.  I assume this is a work in progress.

Good luck,

--Mary