[ncl-talk] grid_area_avg

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Fri Oct 27 11:42:25 MDT 2017

Looking at a plot at each time step, the source data are likely satellite
swath data.  (Most commonly,  satellite swath data are archived as HDF or
HDF-EOS.)   I am not sure who/how the data were subsetted onto a consistent
1200x1200 grid.

True, if the latitudinal range were large and, especially, if data were
'near' the poles, an arithmetic average would not be appropriate. However,
the entire latitudinal range (1200 points) spans 22N to ~35N and the region
of interest spans an even smaller latitudinal range. Hence, an arithmetic
aberage may well be 'close enough.' If not, a simple weighting could be
used.

If a user were to look at all 7 time steps collectively (one data object)
the results may well be different than looking at each time step.

For illustration, using MH's script, I generated the attached png files.

Cheers