[ncl-talk] Trouble plotting 2D lat/lon data from NSIDC

Anne anne.seidenglanz at unive.it
Mon Oct 23 09:27:51 MDT 2017

Hello everybody,

I have a problem plotting data that have 2D latitude/longitude dimensions
(in particular monthly sea ice concentration in the Arctic from the NSIDC,
National Snow and Ice Data Center), even though I have used the

res at sfXArray = lon2d
res at sfYArray = lat2d

resources as I have done earlier for another case (traingular ocean grid)
which worked fine, however not so in this case.This is the information I
got about the grid:
"The grid is in the NSIDC Sea Ice Polar Stereographic [North/South]
projection. This is an irregular grid in that the latitude and longitude
are 2-dimensional arrays, where the x and the y component are specified by
xgrid and ygrid component (see below)"

This is part of the the printVarSummary of the variable:

Variable:* seaice_conc_monthly_cdr*
Type: byte
Total Size: 46441472 bytes
            46441472 values
Number of Dimensions: 3
Dimensions and sizes: [time | 341] x *[ygrid | 448]* x *[xgrid | 304]*
Coordinates:
            time: [141195..151544]
          *  ygrid: [5837500..-5337500]*
*            xgrid: [-3837500..3737500]*
Number Of Attributes: 14

I managed to convert time into a useful date using the cd_calender
function, but was not successful with the latitude and longitude (neither
with ascribing explicitly latitude and longitude to the 2nd and 3rd
coordinate dimension, respectively).

Did I overlook something?

Thanks in advance,
Anne