[ncl-talk] Error in NCL sample script: Undefined identifier (regline_stats)

Angela Wyss angela.wyss at monash.edu
Mon Oct 23 00:19:54 MDT 2017

Hello everybody,

I’m trying to run a sample regression script from the NCL pace (https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/Scripts/regress_3.ncl) I’m using the assigned data (air.sig995.mon.mean.nc).
I have the 6.1.2 version of NCL and I loaded the following commands:
load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/gsn_code.ncl"
load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/gsn_csm.ncl"
load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/contributed.ncl"
load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/shea_util.ncl”

The script works fine until the line where it’s supposed to perform the linear regression:  rc = regline_stats(year, xavg).
Here I get the error message: "fatal:Undefined identifier: (regline_stats) is undefined, can't continue”

Does anyone have an idea how I can run the regline_stats command? It does’t seem to be loaded. Since I'm using a NCL sample script I'm assuming it has nothing do with the code itself.

Cheers,
Angie