[ncl-talk] Reading isccp revisted

Marston Ward marston.johnston at gu.se
Wed Oct 11 05:13:08 MDT 2017

Hi,

I’m trying to compare ISCCP products from COSP with real time data, i.e., ISCCP D2 monthly means.
I’ve never worked with ISCCP before, and, while I can download a lot of data from Earthdata, they are in formats I do not recognise nor know how to handle.
Much of the isccp documents have email address that no longer work, so it is bit difficult to contact them.

While doing a search on the NCL webpage revealed: https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/isccp.shtml
But in this example the isccp data is already in netcdf format. I’m trying to get to this point.

Further, in the NCL archives I came across a similar problem back in 2005: http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Support/talk_archives/all/1699.html
That seems to explain a bit how to read iSCCP D2 but much of this seem to me a black box.

Given the above information, how can I find information on how to read the D2 data onto a regular lat lon grid using NCL?
Anyone in the know, or with experience, out there and care to share?

I’ve attached the SDS hdf file but I don’t know what’s in the file and the data looks very strange.

Best,
/M

Marston S. Ward, PhD
Department of Earth Sciences