[ncl-talk] Question regarding cylindrical coordinate transformation using NCL.

Prashanth Bhalachandran prashanth.bhalachandran at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 18:26:46 MDT 2017

Hello and Warm Greetings !!

I am Prashanth, a PhD student at Purdue and I primarily study hurricanes. I had a quick question regarding NCL that I was hoping you’d help me with.

Say I have WRF output on standard lat/lon grid. I am interested in converting all the data to storm-centric (I know the coordinates of the moving storm center), cylindrical coordinates. That is lat-lon (x,y,z) to r, theta and z. Can you please tell me as to what the best way to do this is using NCL?

I also noticed that NCL had a cylindrical equidistant projection? However, I understand that this is only for plotting? I am guessing I need to do a coordinate transform compulsorily because I intend to take a Fourier transform in the theta direction.

Any direction from your end will be greatly appreciated.

Please help me out.

Prashanth