[ncl-talk] vector notation symbol on zonal wind plot

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Tue Oct 3 07:58:41 MDT 2017

Hello,

Unfortunately we don't have a resource for creating a notation like this.
The only vector notation we have is the vector reference annotation, a
horizontal line showing the length of the reference vector, which you see
on most NCL vector plots.

You could write a little function to draw this figure yourself, using
gsn_add_polyline and gsn_add_text. If you need to draw the figure outside
of your plot, then you can use datatondc to convert the vector lengths in
your plot's data space to NDC coordinates, and then use gsn_polyline_ndc.
and gsn_text_ndc.

You could also try drawing the two vectors and their labels using our
wmvectmap and wmvlbl package.  You can see some examples at:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/weather_sym.shtml

--Mary