[ncl-talk] ind funtion (not working when used as: ind(variable.eq.variable at _FillValue)

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Mon Nov 20 08:11:59 MST 2017

Rashed,

For assorted reasons, you do NOT want to directly compare an array with its
_Fillvalue.

Please see this description in the NCL Reference Manual on the "if"
statement and read the discussion about _FillValue:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Manuals/Ref_Manual/NclStatements.shtml#If

You should also read the section on "Expressions and missing values" at:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Manuals/Ref_Manual/NclExpressions.shtml#MissingValues

The use of "ismissing" to check for missing values is the correct way to go.

--Mary