[ncl-talk] incorrect date using cd_calendar (and cd_string)?

Dave Allured - NOAA Affiliate dave.allured at noaa.gov
Wed Nov 15 15:21:12 MST 2017

Denise,

Your sample file uses the Julian calendar.  In my experience the Julian
calendar is rarely used in climate sciences, and software implementations
are not well vetted.  The best long term solution might be to switch to the
Gregorian calendar, if that is not contrary to your current application.

Also your time base is "hours since 0001-01-01 00:00:00".  Using a base
date before the Julian to Gregorian change in year 1582 exposes you to a
particular kind of software problem.  You might get better results if you
can switch to a base date in the near past, such as 1900-1-1 or 2000-1-1,
regardless of which calendar system is selected.

For what it's worth, my hand calculation for Julian 17657580 hours since
1-1-1 0:0:0 gets 2015 April 30 12:00.  This agrees with your ferret result.

--Dave