[ncl-talk] time information in WGRIB2 and ncl

Debasish Hazra debasish.hazra5 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 14 12:23:10 MST 2017

Thanks Dennis. When I used ncl Verison 6.3 ncl_filedump shows :

Variable: f
Type: file
filename:       ngac.t00z.aod_550nm
path:   ngac.t00z.aod_550nm.grib2
   file global attributes:
   dimensions:
      lat_0 = 181
      lon_0 = 360
   variables:
      float AOTK_P48_L10_GLL0 ( lat_0, lon_0 )
         generating_process_type :      62000
         center :       US National Weather Service - NCEP (WMC)
         production_status :    Operational products
         long_name :    Aerosol optical thickness
         units :        Numeric
         _FillValue :   1e+20
         grid_type :    Latitude/longitude
         parameter_discipline_and_category :    Meteorological products,
Atmospheric chemical constituents
         parameter_template_discipline_category_number :        ( 48, 0,
20, 102 )
         level_type :   Entire Atmosphere
         level :         0
         forecast_time :        7
         forecast_time_units :  minutes
         initial_time : 11/13/2017 (00:00)

but when I used version 6.4 it shows forecast time as dimension :

Variable: f
Type: file
filename:       ngac.t00z.aod_550nm
path:   ngac.t00z.aod_550nm.grib2
   file global attributes:
   dimensions:
      forecast_time0 = 41
      lat_0 = 181
      lon_0 = 360
   variables:
      float AOTK_P48_L10_GLL0 ( forecast_time0, lat_0, lon_0 )
         generating_process_type :      62000
         center :       US National Weather Service - NCEP (WMC)
         production_status :    Operational products
         long_name :    Aerosol optical thickness
         units :        Numeric
         _FillValue :   1e+20
         grid_type :    Latitude/longitude
         parameter_discipline_and_category :    Meteorological products,
Atmospheric chemical constituents
         parameter_template_discipline_category_number :        ( 48, 0,
20, 102 )
         level_type :   Entire Atmosphere
         level :         0
         initial_time : 11/13/2017 (00:00)