[ncl-talk] 3 questions regarding ESMF_regrid

Laura Fowler laura at ucar.edu
Fri May 26 12:33:50 MDT 2017

Hi:

I have two questions regarding ESMF_regrid:

1. I would like to use ESMF_regrid to regrid the 0.1 deg. GPM grid
(3600 x 1800) to a 0.3 deg. grid (1200 x 600), but I get a core dump
at the very end although the debug file writes "Completed weight
generation successfully. I can also dump the content of some of the
variables too.
Can somebody help me understand why the core file?

The ncl script is in /glade/p/work/laura/DATA/GPM (see
regrid.GPM.to.0.3deg_0.3deg.ncl).

2. Looking at the destination file, the grid size is 718201 but I was
expecting 720000 since I decreased the grid resolution by 3. Is there
a way to have the destination grid size equal to 720000 (or 1200 x
600). May that has to do with the fact that I got a core file in the
end?

3.  Finally, I would like to regrid outputs from my MPAS runs so that
my regridded outputs are on exactly the same grid as the regridded GPM
outputs. Is there a way that I can use information from the GPM
destination file?

Thanks for your help.
Laura

--