[ncl-talk] Error: 'warning:ContourPlotInitialize: scalar field is constant'

Rick Brownrigg brownrig at ucar.edu
Mon May 22 10:39:30 MDT 2017

Hi Abhimanyu,

Do you know which variable this is occuring on?  I see you are manually
setting contour levels based upon variable -- you might put some print
statements to print min/max of each variable and make sure your contour
levels are appropriate.

The message is pretty self explanatory -- if all the data is constant (or
nearly so), the are no isolines to be plotted. NCL used to produce a blank
plot is such cases. The resource mentioned, cnConstFEnableFill, will at
least allow the plot to be shaded at whatever color the constant values map
to in your colormap.

Hope that helps...
Rick