[ncl-talk] file with each line having varied length

Zhang, Xiao xiao.zhang at pnnl.gov
Thu May 18 10:18:44 MDT 2017

Dennis and Dave,

Thanks for your help! The question is more complicated than just reading in. I’ll try to explain more clearly.

For example, each line first column refers to an ID (“ID”), and the following are other grid cells associated with this grid (“Vari_ID”). Now I have a mask file and need to select all associated grid cells (Vari_ID) belonging to the mask file and the output file should have same format as input which is ID first and then associate grid cells. As the file has more than 4000 rows, it would be almost impossible to check the column number in each line and then count over. Do you know a good way to solve the problem?

Best,
Xiao