[ncl-talk] ESMF_regrid in 3D

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Fri Mar 31 13:53:48 MDT 2017

Amanda and Marston,

If you are simply talking about regridding each level independently, then
you can actually pass a 3D variable to ESMF_regrid, and it will do the
looping under the hood. What this function does is creates the weights for
one level, and applies them to the rest of the levels.  It assumes that the
lat/lon grid is the same for each level.

If the lat/lon grid changes for each level, or you have different locations
for missing values for each level, then yes, you need to loop and do the
regridding separately for each level.

Examples ESMF_regrid_5.ncl does this, although it's not very well
advertised. You just pass in the 3D variable instead of a 2D variable, and
it should work.

--Mary