[ncl-talk] esmf_regrid fails to regrid at some locations

Lijun Diao ljdiao at gmail.com
Mon Mar 27 09:36:14 MDT 2017

Hi, NCL talk forum:

I am using ESMF_regrid to regrid my modeled CO (dimentioned
Lev(15)*Row(299)*Col(459)) to AIRS L2 swath locations (dimentioned 45*30). I
attached my code test.ncl for the  regridding and plotting. I found some of
the regridded output are missing values. Then I plotted those missing value
locations (black dots in the attached figure). The red dashed box defines my
model domain. I understand when the satellite swath is  out of the model
domain, the regridded CO will be missing values since no model grids will
correspond to those locations. But as you can see, some black dots are
actually inside my model domain, especially the upper right ones, which are
relatively far away from the edges of the model domain. In another words,
the esmf regrid program can not regrid accurately for some of the swath
locations that are inside the model domain. It doesn't make sense to me.
What is the reason?

Thanks,

Lijun Diao

University of Houston