[ncl-talk] Applying MME masks to a spatial field

Melissa Lazenby M.Lazenby at sussex.ac.uk
Wed Mar 22 10:50:59 MDT 2017

Hi Users

I would like to apply a multi-model ensemble drying mask to various CMIP5 model fields.
This is how I am currently going about it in the code below. I work out the MME and then mask out wetting to only have regions of drying and then I multiply the mask to the original CMIP5 model files I would like to apply it to.
Just would like to check if this is how to go about it or another better way. I feel my output is not 100% correct.

Many thanks for your help in advance.

Kindest Regards
Melissa

if (gg.eq.0) then

        dP_ENS = new ((/dimsizes(model),dimsizes(lat),dimsizes(lon)/), typeof(dP))
        dP_ENS!0="model"
        dP_ENS&model=model
        dP_ENS!1="lat"
        dP_ENS&lat=lat
        dP_ENS!2="lon"
        dP_ENS&lon=lon
 end if

 dP_ENS(gg,:,:) = dP(0,:,:)

dP_ENSMEAN = dim_avg_n_Wrap(dP_ENS,0) ; dP_ENS(lat, lon)

printVarSummary(dP_ENSMEAN)

    dP_ENS_dry = mask(dP_ENSMEAN,dP_ENSMEAN.gt.0, False)  ; mask out all the wetting regions i.e. any values above 0 for dP

dP_dry = new ((/dimsizes(lat),dimsizes(lon)/), typeof(dP_ENSMEAN))
        dP_dry!0="lat"
        dP_dry&lat=lat
        dP_dry!1="lon"
        dP_dry&lon=lon

    dP_dry = dP_ENS_dry(:,:) * dP(0,:,:)  ; apply mask to original files dP