[ncl-talk] [ncl-install] Trouble with NCL 6.4.0 (symbol not found _ZdaPvm)

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Tue Mar 21 16:29:07 MDT 2017

Andrea,

If this this current installation method of NCL is giving you too much
grief, then you can try the conda installation, which has instructions here:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Download/conda.shtml

Otherwise, I think you are almost there to getting this current version to
work.

What's happening is that you have one version of gfortran (6.3.0) and then
an older version of gcc (4.2.1).  NCL was compiled with gcc 6.3.0, but when
you run it on your system, it's trying to pull in your gcc 4.2.1 libraries
and failing because they are too old.

Do you have gcc installed in /usr/local/bin? You can try this:

/usr/local/bin/gcc --version

If you do have this, and it is echoing 6.3.0, then I believe the solution
is to simply make sure that /usr/local/bin is on your search path before
/usr/bin.  I know this seems a little strange, but this is somewhat how
shared libraries work.

If you don't have /usr/local/bin/gcc, then you will likely need to install
it.  You should use the same method that you used for gfortran, which I'm
guessing is that you downloaded it from hpc.sourceforge.net.  If you go to
that website, you'll see gcc 6.3.0 binaries for both El Capitan and Sierra.
Download the appropriate gcc-6.3.bin.tar.gz file for your system, and then
untar it from "/" since it is going to put everything in /usr/local.

There are instructions here:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Download/macosx.shtml#InstallCompilers

But hpc.sourceforge.net also has instructions.

Good luck,

--Mary