[ncl-talk] CAPE and CIN calculated from function "wrf_cape_3d"

Bill Ladwig ladwig at ucar.edu
Tue Mar 21 09:55:23 MDT 2017

Hi Zhifeng,

Without seeing a script or the data, there is no way to know from our end.
Have you tried creating a Skew-T (
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/skewt.shtml) to look at your data?
The CAPE values calculated from the Skew-T will be a little different than
what is used by wrf_cape_3d, since I think the Skew-T CAPE only calculates
surface based CAPE.  But, it should give an idea of how high the values
could be.  If you're seeing wildly different results, then we would need to
see the data to investigate.

Hope this helps,

Bill