[ncl-talk] Making Snow Storm Trajectories (reference to past e-mail)

Adam Phillips asphilli at ucar.edu
Mon Mar 20 10:16:47 MDT 2017

Hi Barry,
Looking at the error message it looks to me that you have to add to the
list of new markers specified in lines 184-187 within the idxs array to
accommodate the change in your input files. I would recommend following
what is done in lines 156-182, either by specifying existing marker indices
(as is done in lines 156-160), or by calling NhlNewMarker. The original
author of this script set up the marker array idxs to house filled markers
in idxs(:,0) and hollow markers in idxs(:,1).

See:
https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/Images/markers.png
https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/NhlNewMarker.shtml

Adam

On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 9:57 AM, Barry Lynn <barry.h.lynn at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi:
>
> I received the attached code sometime ago from NCL-Talk.  It makes storm
> trajectories, while reading csv files.
>
> However, I am getting an error with "num_needed," but I don't see how this
> is being set or why I am getting the error.
>
> My guess is that the csv file is slightly different than before, but I am
> not sure about this.
>
> Thank you.
> [wrf at mn03 NCL]$ ncl ./plot_traj_barry_csv.ncl
>  Copyright (C) 1995-2015 - All Rights Reserved
>  University Corporation for Atmospheric Research
>  NCAR Command Language Version 6.3.0
>  The use of this software is governed by a License Agreement.
>  See http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/ for more details.
> (0) min=971.7   max=1010.4
> (0) min=31.045   max=46.394
> (0) min=-90.144   max=-60
> (0) get_marker_colors: don't have enough marker colors.
> (0)                   I need 13 and you gave me 10.
> (0)                   Please add some more!
>
> --
> Barry H. Lynn, Ph.D
> Senior Lecturer,
> The Institute of the Earth Science,