[ncl-talk] horizontal (floating) bar chart: changing individual label colors and using gsnXRefLine to indicate the average of each bar?

Rugenstein Maria maria.rugenstein at env.ethz.ch
Mon Mar 6 07:47:42 MST 2017

Hi all,

I’m trying to ascribe the same color to the bar and its label in a horizontal (floating) bar chart.

colors = (/“red”,”blue”,”green”/)
do i=0,nbars-1
  res at gsnXYBarChartColors = colors(i)  	<=========== works
  res at tmYRLabelFontColor = colors(i)		<=========== doesn’t work
  …
  overlay(base_plot,max_plot(i))
end do

Further, I'm wondering how to make use of the gsnXRefLine resource to indicate the average of each bar with a dot or a line. Is there any way to either shrink the gsnXRefLine down to the individual bar itself or have the whole RefLine transparent everywhere except black within its specific bar? Or do I have to parse all the different gsnXRefLines for each bar to individual polymarkers?

Attached my script — it’s a close variation of your example bar_horz_13.ncl and produces the pdf plot, which is attached as well.

Thanks for helping out!
Maria