[ncl-talk] Skip Over Header in Binary File

Dave Allured - NOAA Affiliate dave.allured at noaa.gov
Mon Jun 26 17:49:43 MDT 2017

Greg,

Read the entire file as flat binary.  Set the second argument to -1 to
indicate unknown dimensions; this will read the whole file.  Set the third
argument to "byte" or "ubyte" to match the intended signedness of the data.

    x = cbinread ("file.bin", -1 ,"byte")

Then remove the header bytes using a subscript range expression.  Remember,
NCL subscripting is zero-based:

   x2 = x(300:)

I would use dimsizes to confirm that the result has the expected number of
bytes.  Then use function onedtond to reshape the x2 array from 1-D to 2-D.

--Dave