[ncl-talk] QUESTIONS OF DRAWING WINDBARB WITH SCATTER STATIONS

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Wed Jun 21 12:06:07 MDT 2017

You are trying to take 1-dimensional random data and treat it as a 2D
rectilinear grid, which assumes that you have the same latitudes across
each longitude dimension, and the same longitudes across each latitude
dimension.

This is not going to work, because your data is not rectilinear.

Unfortunately, the gsn_csm_vector_xxxxx functions don't currently allow you
to draw vectors at random points.

We have a special function called wmvectmap that do what you want:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/wmvectmap.shtml

See example weather_sym_9.ncl at:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/weather_sym.shtml

--Mary